[CAVALRY] Wedge or not?

Go down

[CAVALRY] Wedge or not?

Post  Dowly on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:12 pm

While I have played every single TW game except NTW, I've never used the wedge. It just makes the charge look weaker, I mean, I know how it should work, but I just always preferred non-wedge formations. In Shogun 2, seeing how the game kinda forces you to play a certain way, I've always used wedge, to varying results.

So, my question is, do you use the wedge formation when you charge with cavalry or not? I've seen videos where people say it helps and videos where people say it's better to go without. And does anyone know if there is any actual bonuses the game gives when using wedge?

Cheers,
Dowly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [CAVALRY] Wedge or not?

Post  Life Pilgrim on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:12 pm

I've only played the demo so my experience is very limited but

I use wedge when attacking or flanking a single unit who wasn't engaged with my other unit to break their formation into two and destroy its morale.

I don't use wedge when flanking units who were already engaged with my other units with reason to bring maximum number of my cavalry to engage the enemy line.

Life Pilgrim

View user profile http://exposingsingapore.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Arclight on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:32 pm

You can use wedge to slice through enemy ranks, it disrupts the entire formation and I think it's that that gives a penalty to the defender. If you can't slice, don't use it.

So basically infantry in the open seems very vulnerable to it, while with cavalry or already engaged targets you just want to smash it, rather than try to break it up. Heavier units, like cavalry, no-daichi and naginata samurai seem to suffer less from a wedge charge.

Arclight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Daysofdoom on Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:08 pm

In medium battles I usually use two units of great guard and 2 Yari vets, I use them to hunt down the enemy cav and then once destroyed they can be used for flanking or rear charges. Also, once my cav are done with my opponents their main line is usually already engaged by my main line. So i dont use wedge when charging into already engaged units because it decreases them amount of my men that get the cav charge bonus when they impact.

I have found that when charging with multiple units all in wedge they get in each others way weakening the charge. I like the regular ranked formation because it reminds me of the charge of the Rohirrim in the Return of the king. But back to tactics I actually like it when my enemy uses wedge vs my cav because It allows my cav to rap around theirs so that more of my men are attacking then his. I haven't lost a cav fight in a lot of games.
Daysofdoom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Gale on Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:25 pm

I find wedges work sometimes, and sometimes they dont. It depends on who your charging. If its a single spread thing line, just use normal charge, theyll carve through on their own. If its a bit thicker, like a block, use the wedge so you can attack everyone, and have all your cavalry working, not jsut those at the front of the line.

Also, im not sure but i think wedge when used well can be a bigger smack to Morale, as people get surrounded and thus break easier.
Gale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ari on Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:49 pm

I think the Wedge formation give the cavalry horses a momentum bonus to help shove back or throw away enemy infantry. At the same time, wedge formation ties down your own horsemen to a rigid formation so they can't engage freely. Against a thin line, the bonus of the wedge does nothing while the shape of the formation causes too many wasted lancers going through the center instead of charging all the enemies. Against a thick box of infantry, this momentum bonus allows the cavalry to instantly go through ranks of infantry killing them without the 1v1 motion-captured fighting scene. And this is really the only way of dealing with enemies who pack infantry closely and you just need to charge them for one reason or another.

ari

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Arclight on Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:37 pm

Wedge is also easier to squeze through a gap. Sometimes I'll toggle cav to wedge, run through a gap, go back to normal formation and charge in. A general standing behind a thin line of troops is also vulnerable to a wedge: you charge right through the infantry and engage the general.

Arclight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down